Search This Blog

Friday 24 June 2011

Virgin Atlantic



This bit of work here is from my final year at University. Basically Virgin wanted the company to be advertised in a completely different way to how they are normally advertised, and at that moment in time they advertised their company through hot looking models dressed up as air stewardesses'. I can understand them doing this if their target audience was just the males out there but what about all the women? The women out there will not like this advert as much as the men did and that's a fact.


I decided my target audience would be the higher class folk. The people that are most likely to travel first class with the company. The reason for this been was the fact that they would know and appreciate Art & Design because the people that travel first class are the higher end folk in which these sort of people buy "The Guardian" in which there is Art & Design booklets in them all the time.


I decided to advertise Virgin by wanting designs that were very potent and maybe abstract. Here is what i came up with.





In my research i managed to obtain a press release directly from Virgin Atlantic. I got in contact with the Head Office of the company and they sent me some very useful information. The most important bit of information which pieced it all together for me was there was a list in the press release of all the names of every plane Virgin Atlantic had. Richard Branson himself had named each and everyone of his planes. As you can see above one of the names of the planes names was 'Pretty Woman'. Once i had the name of his planes i just needed a strap line to go with the name. 



Above is my poster in context. I took a photo of the an ad-shell and placed my photo within the ad-shell to show you how it would look out there on the street. I think if i was walking through town i would stop and have a read of this, Very eye catching. 




Another one of his planes was called 'Plain Sailing' so an easy strap line for me here. Now I have been in the industry I do look back at some of my work especially my font choice and say to my self what was I thinking. Especially in this brief my font choices were not brilliant but i do like the design work and its just to show people how far I have come since then.



Above is my poster in context again. The effects i tried to create was as if the plane was moving. I tried to show movement through design. The top Poster especially shows this, as if the plane is flying directly above your head and there are sound waves coming down from the plane. The poster above, with the red zig zag i tried to show the planes flight path weaving through the skies. 

I was very happy with my outcomes for this project and received a very good grade if I could change anything from this project it would be the typefaces on my posters. But i suppose that all comes with experience in the industry and now I am lucky to have this and try to pass on my advice when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment